Thursday 16 June 2011

Vintage Canning Jars

A few weeks ago, I attended an out-of-town estate sale and came away with three beautiful, old canning jars.


One is a pre-1910 aqua Ball jar half full of hollyhock seeds the lady had harvested herself many years ago. Another was an aqua Perfect Seal jar with marigold seeds in it, also harvested by the lady. 



The third was this amethyst Perfect Seal jar, which came empty. It's such a pretty pink color, shiny with noticeable bubbles throughout the glass. The color indicates it was made prior to World War I. Perfect Seal was a brand of Canadian-made canning jars.


As for vintage canning jars, I see a lot of these for sale right now as repurposed garden lights. There are many Etsy shops selling them pre-made with LED solar lights installed under the lids, and I see on eBay you can buy the solar light lids ready to install on your own Ball jars. Now I see new ones for sale at Home Hardware. Made to look vintage, of course, with frosted glass and ready to go. 


All these solar lights look quite stunning glowing away in the evening darkness. 


I'm not sure what I'll do with my jars yet. So far they're just sitting on a shelf where they can catch the morning sunlight from the dining room window. I find them quite beautiful simply as they are - seeds and all.

4 comments:

  1. The other jars sound very pretty! I like the one in the picture! Love the pink and the shape and everything =)

    Thanks for stopping by our blog! New GFC follower =)

    Arizona Girls Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this post and those lovely tinted canning jars. I'm a bit too young to remember the tinted ones, but I spent many long HOT summer days canning with my mom and aunt as a farm kid, and measuring the green beans I canned for 4-H competitions. Lovely bit of nostalgia. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! I don't think I've ever seen one in this shade before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a new follower, I'm loving your blog! I found you on the Etsy Blog Team, stop by my blog if you have a chance! www.sewsavoirfairecreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete