Monday 6 June 2011

A Fab Find on the Weekend



I had a hectic weekend, but I managed to get in a ton of garage sales. I met some really nice people and especially enjoyed the one where the host was dressed up like a clown!


This is one item that I came across and fell in love with immediately. The owner said her mother-in-law had it for years and years. I know it's not in perfect condition, but there is something about the dents, the scuff marks and the rusty parts that appeal to me. Maybe because it reminds me that this is life. Time is giving us all little scuff marks and a few dents of our own as we age, but we still retain our beauty and worth.


This imported British candy tin was made by Walker & Hartley Ltd. of Blackpool, England. It has the characteristic rich gold color, elaborate floral design and geometric pattern common in the candy tins of the 1940s.


It has been around a long time and like many tins of its day, was well used by it's owners for possibly storing coins, sewing supplies or keepsakes. The top of the tin features a raised picture of a floral bouquet of carnations, daisies and mums.


It's now listed in my Etsy shop, if you're in the market for shabby chic.


(Please feel free to check out some of my collection for sale online at http://www.etsy.com/shop/RetroJunction?ref=pr_shop_more)

3 comments:

  1. I love garage sale! Unfortunately in my city is lack of garage sale :( Really fab find you've got there. and it's 1940s!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great tin! Excellent find!

    So glad I found you through the Etsy Blog Team!
    I am your newest blog follower. :)
    Looking forward to seeing your upcoming posts!

    I welcome you to check out my art blog, too!

    Best,
    Mary C. Nasser
    http://www.marycnasser.com/blog.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you found my blog. Yes, garage sales can be a lot of fun and it's the season for them now so weekends are always busy!

    ReplyDelete