Sunday 28 August 2011

My Lucky Cat Bank

Driving home from work one day I pulled over for a garage sale on impulse and found this awesome "waving cat" coin bank. 




As it was at the end of the sale, they practically gave it to me just to take it away. I was more than happy to oblige as I love cats. I've always loved cats. I grew up on a farm and my family called me the "cat girl". I also believe in karma and being in the right place at the right time. 




It's a Maneki Neko - Japan's Beckoning Luck Cat. Legend has it that long ago an emperor declared all cats in general should be respected as sacred animals after one saved his life. Apparently he was riding his horse down a country road when he spotted a small cat waving at him. He dismounted from his horse to get a closer look and his horse was struck dead by lightening. 


The legendary cat has been transformed from an Emperor's Good Samaritan to a bringer of money and good fortune to all Japanese. There are a few different variations of the Maneki Neko and legends to go with them, and it's likely you'll find one of these on display in every Japanese shop.


Ironically, I have been diagnosed with a cat allergy, so I'm glad I've found a version that brings not only a smile to my face every morning but maybe some good luck as well!


Everyone could use a little good luck. What's your lucky piece?



3 comments:

  1. What a great story! Cute cat too. I'd say that's a good luck cat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute cat! I'd seen banks like that before, but I didn't know the story.

    I have a pair of pink soccer socks; when I wear them, I always seem to have a good game. Sometimes, when I'm wearing a different pair of socks, I tell myself "Channel the pink socks!" Silly, eh?

    ReplyDelete